Deadline for applications Sunday 2 May 2021.
BladeBUG is an ambitious clean-tech company based in London developing robotics to inspect, maintain and repair offshore wind turbines. Our mission is to accelerate the sustainable green energy transition through the use of robotics and automation to enhance both sustainability and quality of employment through provision of safe and upskilled working.
In October 2020 our robot performed the world's first robotic bladewalk on an offshore turbine and in 2021 we are expanding our team to meet the increased interest and demand for our products and services. Like many tech companies, we started small, but we now have the opportunity to develop our team and become a diverse and representative organisation.
We are a friendly and transparent team working to create a productive and diverse culture based on trust. We offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and a great environment.
We are looking for a talented candidate with a proven track record of delivering innovative technology to join us and shape the future of offshore wind energy operations.
Based in London Bridge, you will work alongside the CTO and engineering team to develop our current prototypes and conduct field tests with our customers and partners. You will use your experience to shape the technology and processes we use, pushing the boundaries of robotics products in the offshore environments, and in doing so, become an integral part of the business.
You will engage with all areas of design and engineering, including mechatronics, software development and full robot testing.
You will be expected to:
- Develop reliable and robust robots ready for deployment in the field on customer assets
- Play an integral role in the design, prototyping, build and testing of the robot
- Mentor and guide the team through different development stages of the robot
- Develop software that implements practical solutions to specific robotic applications
- Demonstrate working systems through experimental validation to establish their operational limits
- Assist with assembling the robot and sub-systems for testing during development
- Integrate peripherals, such as grinders, paint rollers, inspection equipment, IMUs, torque sensors or other equipment
- Assist with robot capabilities and functionality i.e. tools, optimisation etc
- Attend regular review and progress meetings with potential customers and investors
- Maintain documentation, ensuring conformance to standards, and passing accreditation
Who we're looking for
We are looking for someone who has a passion for robotics and wants to see their hard work have a positive change on the environment.
- Minimum five years of experience in professional industry environment with design and implementation of custom robotic systems
- At least a bachelor’s degree in robotics, mechanical engineering, electrical/electronic engineering, computer science, mechatronics or similar engineering discipline
- Technical leadership experience, e.g. where you led a project, team, feature development or trial in a professional environment
- Strong technical hands-on experience and knowledge of robotics and/or drones
- A strong sense of initiative and self-motivation
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail
- Experience with robotics, sensors and systems using C++, ROS and simulation environments such as Gazebo
- Experience in compliance with the Machinery Directive, the Low Voltage Directive and CE certification
- Proven ability to implement new technologies from concepts and prototyping through to reliable and robust commercial activity
- Able to communicate clearly and understand complex technical details
- Solid understanding of the interfaces between hardware and software
- Organised, professional and able to balance multiple priorities
- Experience of leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Knowledge and experience with: SLAM, computer vision, point clouds, GNU/Linux, machine learning
- Experience with workshop tools and CNC equipment for rapid prototyping and development (laser cutting, 3D printing (FDM, SLS), CNC routing etc.)
- Experience of waterproofing and IP rating standards
- A nice bonus if you have worked in the wind turbine industry
What we offer
You will be joining us early in the formation of the engineering team giving you the ability to shape the technology, tools, processes and culture of the company
- This is a full time position has a salary range of £50k to £56k
- Twenty-five days a year holiday
- Pension contributions
- Flexible working hours and locations to help everyone be their most productive
- Training and support for professional development including mentoring for chartering and areas outside of your core role
- The opportunity to play an integral role in building a company in a high growth, sustainable industry
- Regular team socials (we specialise in our own pizza dough making!)
- This role will continue to grow and develop with the company
- A vibrant workspace shared with other innovative hardware companies in the heart of London Bridge
- Regular travel around the UK (and potentially further) to test robots on operating wind turbines
How to apply
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter outlining your experience and what you believe you can bring to the team to firstname.lastname@example.org.
At this stage of our company growth, we cannot offer relocation or visa sponsorship and you must be eligible to work in the UK without restriction.
No recruiters, please